Tuesday 5 November 2013

Korean Food at Robison college, Cambridge

Robinson College

Head chef, Gary and chef, Stuart

My instant kimchi

 marinating beef with chef, Stuart
Before  the Summer I had email from head chef, Gary at Robinson College , Cambridge University , planning to do Special Korean Evening for the students on 30th October.
As a social event and selling ticket for the Korean dinner.
Well, this event is very special, as far as I know there were never British university catering team provide Korean food for the Students, Yes there were a few Korean Food events but they were all funded and for the invited ( free) guests like Dr shin and I did on May.
As I  already had shown them  how to cook my 5 recipes on May,
Gary seemed confident doing themselves but I was a little concerned . also they did not learn how to make kimchi,  the Korean food event without kimchi seemed so odd.
I decided to help them on the night and show them how to make instant kimchi, so they can make next time.
Cooking needs a lots of practise specially when you are making foreign food, even you got recipe for it, still you need to see and get use to the taste ( right taste).

Arrived just before 2 pm, and went in kitchen to see chefs first, as usual they were delighted see me and so welcoming. some staff offered me lunch from students canteen.
Gary showed me the menu for the Korean night, surprised by not cooked rice on the menu. Gary said as they did not have Korean rice, they will serve potatoes and bread, I said without rice and kimchi Korean food can not be eaten, all Korean dishes are meant to be eaten with rice. Asked cook any kind of rice ( long grain or Thai) . I was so glad I came to help, after all they are cooking with my recipes and my name on the leaflet.
Chef, Stuart prepared so nicely, thinly cut beef for bulgogi, spring onion for pajeon (seafood pancake) so on, 2 Chinese cabbage were delivered for my instant kimchi. as kitchen is closed from 2 pm to 4 pm I asked them to take out cabbage, sea salt, I can start before 4 pm.
Dr Shin kindly booked a room for me for the night.

Making kimchi is a long slow process if I like to make proper one. This recipe will be the easiest one, I call it Instant kimchi, like kimchi salad. it is much easier to work in this huge professional kitchen with a walk in cold room, all kind of wonder machines around .

 Cooking for 50 paying students is not easy, Stuart is working so nicely and efficiently with me is a big advantage.
Marinating 50 potion of bulgogi and plus extra helping needs some beef. I just put my robber gloves on and took in charge with Stuart's help. Move on to pajeon batter as same way, make Ssamjang as they did not buy ready made Korean ssamjang, I just made with bean paste, chilli flakes, sesame oil, sesame seed, garlic and honey, too salty, asked them quick boil sweet potatoes and mashed in to dilute saltiness as I do at home.
Made dipping sauce, all kitchen staff remembered all things which was so pleasing.
Stuart loves my special red cabbage , apple, molli, red onion salad, he informed me, he using my recipe a lot at home and at college kitchen, it is very good to hear that from professional chef !

By 6 pm all hungry students arrived at once, we cooked as fast as we could. the feed back from serving staff was so positive. I did not feel tired at all, I know it will hit me later.
My instant kimchi has gone with no time, I should have made 4 cabbages rather than 2.

I was so relived when they are having dessert and went out talk to the students. they all said they really loved and even asking more often and not well known Korean dishes they'd love to try.
Perhaps I will make Kimchi jjigae.

As Dr Shin recognised, I need to be there to supervise this Korean night as still chefs are unfamiliar with taste and process in Korean dishes.

I dragged my tired body with a bottle of white wine to my room and had a long drink.

Menu:  Cooked rice.
Bulgogi and lettuce with ssamjang.
Pajeon and dipping sauce
Instant kimchi
Red cabbage, apple red onion salad.
Dessert: Fruits salad

After all we, Dr Shin, Robison college kitchen team and I made a small history on Korean food!!







1 comment:

  1. 안녕하세요. 저희는 한국문화를 알리기위한 다큐멘터리를 제작중인 제작진입니다.
    한국정부지원으로 제작되고 있습니다. 다름아니라 선생님께서 한국의 음식을 알리기위한 노력을 하고 계시기에 몇가지 여쭙고 부탁을 드리고자 연락을 드립니다.
    저희팀이 11월17일 부터 20일 까지 영국촬영을 진행하는데요,음식의 장벽이 높기로 유명한 영국에 한식의 인기가 날로 높아지고 있다고 알고 있어 그에 관한 취재를 하려고 합니다. 선생님께서는 영국현지인을 대상으로 한식을 알리고 계시기에 선생님께서 가르치시는 수강생이나 주변에 아시는 분이 있으시다면 추천을 부탁드립니다. (런던 근교에 머물고 있는 젊은 영국인이 한국의 음식 재료를 사서 집에서 한식을 요리 해먹는 일상을 취재하고자 합니다.)주제는 영국인의 삶에 스며든 한국의 문화입니다. 그리고 선생님 부군께서는 영국음반사 아시아담당자로 계시다고 알고 있습니다. 저희가 영국에서의 한국음악시장 현황에 대한 주제로도 현지 인터뷰를 진행할 예정인데 저희가 그와 관련해 부군께 연락을 드릴수 있을까요?
    여러가지로 긴 내용이 되었습니다. 제 메일 주소는 erica702@naver.com 입니다.선생님의 한국의 음식을 알리기 위한 노력에 한국인으로서 응원을 보내드립니다. 연락을 부탁드립니다.감사합니다.

    ReplyDelete